How would you like to come home to the sweet smell of cinnamon filling your house? Mmmm hmmmm me too!!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4-5 hours
What you need:
- half-cooked or fully-cooked ham, boneless or bone-in doesn’t matter (I used Schneiders Olde Fashioned fully-cooked)
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into eighths (this fed my family of 5, you can add more apples if you like)
- brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of water (for apple sauce)
- butter or margarine to grease bottom of cooker
What you do:
- grease bottom of your slow cooker with butter or margarine
- spread a thin layer of brown sugar at the bottom of the cooker
- place ham, flat side down, on top of brown sugar
- peel, cut, and spread your apples around the ham
- sprinkle as much or as little of cinnamon on top of everything
- cook on LOW for 4-5 hour or until your ham reaches the internal temp of 150F
- remove your apple slices and put them into a small saucepan
- put temp to med-high until you hear them sizzle a bit
- quickly add your 1/3 cup of water and start mashing away (I use a potato masher)
- when your apples have absorbed enough water and it starts to thicken up, turn heat down to medium.
- keep mashing until the consistency suits your taste.
No need to add anything to your apple sauce because they will be sweet enough. Your sauce will have a nice rich brown colour thanks to the brown sugar 🙂
Slice up your ham, add the apple sauce and serve! Enjoy!